Thursday, February 18, 2010

nuggets about Frank Elmer Jacobs

From: Gloria Hale
To: 'LoLyn Growing Together Counseling and Education'
Sent: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 00:08:35 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: RE: CDs


I understood from Dad that most mornings with

breakfast she had two warm boiled prunes drenched with lemon juice. I tried

them a few years ago and that is a good taste combination .

She loved to bring Oreo Cookies and ice

cream out to the Rock House . We children were told by our dad to be

meticulous eaters and cleaned up afterwards. My dad knew she had rules.

I visited briefly inside her house on Van

Buren only once in all the years she was in SanAngelo . I was young

enough to think that was simply the norm.

(The garage apartment in the back is

likely where you stayed played Head of the Class game.) She took care not to

become attached to us yet she was cordial and pleasant. She had the bearing and

ambiance of a teacher though most of her conversation was directed at my dad

after an initial greeting .

Not the softee type of grandma I have

evolved into. I think she was very fond of Erica Dee having lived with her

early on . It was a good thing for all concerned I think and probably very

therapeutic for her.

More later . I’m on my way home from

work.

I will try to scan the letter we talked

about to you if I can get a decent copy first .



Have a nice evening

Gloria




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: LoLyn Growing

Together Counseling and Education [mailto:growingtogethercounseling@comcast.net]


Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010

5:55 PM
To: Hale, Gloria
Subject: RE: CDs






I have only two memories of Grandmother Grace: I was about six and we

went as a family to San Angelo.

She let us stay in a little house by hers and eat at her table. Everytime

I taste apple butter, to this day, I remember having breakfast at her table

with eggs and toast and apple butter. In the little house or apartment

was a set of "Go to the Head of the Class" that our family played

during our down time. We had succhan enjoyable time playing it we bought

it later, but it was never the same as being a captive audience in that

apartment. Later when I was about 8 we lived in Chandler and when I heard my Grand mother was

coming I was so excited. In our Sunday school and children's classes we

sing songs about "I'm so glad when Grand ma comes" and others

about how great grand mothers are and I was expecting a loving hug and caress

from her. Needless to say, I ran up to the car and got a cold hard

stare. It shook my faith in grandmothers. I know it's not fair to

judge her from just two visits but that's my only memories.



Do you know what other foods, other than apple butter, she served,

cooked, enjoyed. When I write my historical fiction I like to include as

much authentic detail as possible so anything about her home

etc. Do you know I have the chest made from the dining room

table they brought from South Dakota to Texas, and later had

made into a chest for Louella; she gave it to me many years ago. i also

have a clock that came from Louella, and I assume from her mother.




LoLyn,


----- Original Message -----


From: Gloria Hale


To: 'LoLyn Growing Together Counseling and

Education'


Sent: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:41:08 +0000

(UTC)


Subject: RE: CDs

When I get a clear copy made, I will send



you a copy of the letter Grandpa Frank wrote to Lola , who later shared them



with my dad.

Pretty heart wrenching how went to



California to

get her back and what happened there.

Sorry about the computer virus. Thanks for



letting me know.





Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment